|  Add to Favorite   |  HOME  |  
  143B Orchard St New York, NY 10002 U.S.A.     GALLERY OPEN HOURS : Wednesday-Sunday, 11am to 6 pm     Able Fine Art NY Gallery      

ABOUT  
 ARTISTS 
 PRESS 
ARTISTS

Biography

Park Dong Yoon

Ph.D in F.A, from Hong-ik Univ.
Graduated from Painting Dept. of Fine Art College Hong-ik Univ.(B.F.A)
Graduated from Graduate School of Hong-ik Univ.(M.F.A)
Studied on Graduate School of Beaver College(Philadelphia, Painting)

Kyoto Seika Univ. Artist-in-Residence
La Salle Univ. Artist-in-Residence

Solo Exhibition 20times(Seoul, Daejeon, Gongju, Philadelphia)
Booth & Art Fair Exhibition 20times(Seoul, Busan, Gongju, Geneva, Ghent, Istanbul, Singgapol)
International & Domestic Group Exhibition 600 beyond times

Korea Art Grand Prix Exhibition, Excellent Prize(1989)
Korea Contemporary Printer Association, Part of Conpetition, Excellent Prize(1986)

Korea Grand Prix Exhibition, Danwon Art Festival Judging & Producing Pannel
Kyengin Grand Prix Exhibition, Seoul Grand Prix Exhibition, Kwanak Contemporary Grand Prix Exhibition, Hyeongsang Contemporary Art Exhibition Judging Pannel

Selected Collection:The National Museum of Contemporary Art Korea, Gyacheon.
                    The Seoul Metropollitan Art Museum, Seoul
                    The Contemporary Art Museum of Hongik Univ. Seoul
                    The Seong-gok Art Museum, Seoul  etc.

Artist Note

The concept I want to pursue artistically is korean sensibility. What is the Korean sensibility or aesthetic? It means the spirit and beauty of Korea and the philosophy of Koreans. What is the traditional beauty of Korea? The traditional Korean beauty is based on the Mother nature of Korea which has been continued to the present day. The earth, the sun, the moon, ancient structures, people, color, design, daily goods, wind, rain, and the world that has been laid from the past and the world that is laid around me in the present formed my world of art, I want to express these through my works.
My work is intended to express the Korean traditional shapes in abstract forms. Some pieces show the rectangular wood holes of the ancient buildings, and some show the stone steps of temple(the steps that symbolize the physical conformation of yearning toward the sky), red and yellow flowers in the garden, the patchworks made by sewing in the women's quarters, the coat strings of jeogori, the Korean traditional jacket, and the like. These work the sources of inspiration for me. I want simultaneously to express the dynamic aspects of Korea. In other words, As  one of the elements of my work I want to accept the buildings that soar into the sky day by day, colors of the dazzling city, and the unrealistic light emitted from electronic devices as well.
Hanji is Korean traditional paper. It is outstanding paper made by extracting from the skin of paper-bush and going through several complex procedures. It can be maded various bright colors by dyeing the hanji with natural dyes. Hanji funcitions as an excellent paper for thousands of years. My works are collage-relief works made by hanji. I made a special property of material by layering hanji, and expressed the color I wanted to show by adding a thin layer of colored-hanji on top. I also maximized the pictoriality of the work through the faded paper which shows it has lasted for many years and by using the semitransparentness which is one of the characteristics of hanji.
My collage-relief work shows a third dimension which cannot be shown in 2D level paintings. The complex shapes of thick hanji extruded over 10cm from the canvas make the form, color, and feelings change by the angle towards the art piece. The art work shows diverse forms and makes the audiences feel those transformations.

Review by Mary Gregory

Finding a balance between the past and the present is core to the message of artist DongYoon Park.  Park is a contemporary Korean artist whose work bridges many apparent differences, and shows that these differences can be embraced or even erased.

Park creates paintings that cannot be described simply as pictures.  They are sculptural as well.  They cannot be described as simply contemporary, as they are referencing and embracing ancient traditions and forms, as well.  They cannot be described as solely conceptual, as they embody the artist's philosophy and emotional response to his world as well.

All the pieces from the same body of work share the same title – Affectionate Things.  The artist describes his approach as his attempt to express the traditional beauty and sensibility of the Korean aesthetic.  Park utilizes Korea's revered Hanji paper to construct bas-relief collage compositions that are once modern, and at the same time touching Korea's five thousand year cultural history.  His deep affection for the world around him and the world that came before him comes through in his choice of shapes, colors and material.

In visual compositions that recall the carefully constructed abstractions of Josef Albers, who greatly influenced so much of contemporary art, Park utilizes squares and lines in contrasting colors.  But in Park's compositions they carry additional meanings.  His squares within squares recall the rectangular wooden holes he has come to know in ancient Korean buildings.  His curved and undulating, or straight progressive layers of parallel lines are not just formal abstract elements, or a means of creating a sense of movement on a still surface, they are also a reference to Korean temple steps, which symbolize, he states, emotional and spiritual yearning for higher states.         

His deep, saturated colors are Park's evocation of flowers and forms of nature, of traditional patchwork quilts, and of the coat strings of Korean jeogori jackets.  But Park is not stuck in the past.  Part of his artistic and personal approach to the world, he states, is to embrace also the modern world with affection.  As such, he deliberately references contemporary architectural shapes, colors of the city, and the artificial lights and buzz of the electronic devices that have become part of daily life.

The work of DongYoon Park expresses many layers, both visual and philosophical.  His vision is deeply personal, yet speaks to universal themes.  It is traditional while utilizing the modern.  His Hanji paper constructions are steeped and saturated with rich color, history and meaning.   

Contact us  |   HOME       ablefineart twitter   ablefineart facebook   ablefineart youtube
143B Orchard St New York, NY 10002 U.S.A. / Tel: 1-212-477-1188 / info@ablefineartny.com
Copyright ⓒ 2022 ABLE FINE ART NY. All rights reserved